Monday, March 15, 2010

TOMORROW IS THE BIG DAY


IT’S FINALLY HERE...I can’t believe that I leave TOMORROW for AFRICA! AFRICA...wow...it’s just starting to sink in that I am really going. This trip is something that i’ve been praying about for a long time. I’ve always wanted to do something like this...something that will not only allow me to touch the lives of others by sharing the LOVE of Jesus Christ, but also transform the way I look at my own life. I pray that this journey will FOREVER CHANGE MY PERSPECTIVE.


When I went to the informational meeting a few months ago, I felt a huge tug at my heart, I specifically felt God calling me to this trip. We watched a short video about the orphanage, Esther’s House, that we will be working with. This orphanage cares for 50 orphans and 50 widows that receive food and all the essential daily needs. There is a chapel, dormitories, a home for house parents, kitchen and dining hall, and two classrooms that will teach Christian education and vocational skills so the orphans can gain employment and live productive lives. Along with working in the orphanage, we will also be spreading the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the local area tribes and working with widows; supplying food, clothing and fellowship.

I realize everyday how truly blessed I am and because I have been so blessed, I feel that the least I can do is devote two weeks of my life to share the gospel and love on the people of Malawi. The purpose of this trip is to specifically accomplish a few things:

  • Minister to the the children in Esther’s House, through Bible stories, songs, and teaching. Also, educate the care-takers that work in the orphanage.
  • Love and encourage widows through visitation and discipleship
  • General evangelism in the villages

I have always wanted to be a part of something bigger than myself. When I began to pray about this trip, I immediately felt like THIS was my opportunity.

I truly appreciate all of you who donated to make this opportunity possible for me. You are each a HUGE blessing! Without your support none of this would be possible. Through this fundraising process I saw how truly faithful God is in providing for our needs. Everything fell right into place. I also want to thank you all SO MUCH for your prayers. They mean the world to me. I have a few prayer requests as we prepare to leave:

  • That God will fully prepare my heart for this experience. I am praying and EXPECTING God to CHANGE MY LIFE FOREVER as a result of this trip. I want a new perspective and I know God is going to open my eyes to so many new/great things.
  • Pray for ALL 12 team members...these people are so special! We know that God has called each one of us to this specific trip for a reason...pray that God will continue to unite our team.
  • That we will be able to reach as MANY people in Malawi as possible and that they will truly understand God's love for THEM.
  • We’re still not sure if we will have running water or not...please pray! haha!
  • SAFETY, SAFETY, SAFETY! The flight schedule is below-pray that we will get rest as we travel 2 DAYS to get there.

Flight Schedule


Tuesday, March 16, 2010 United flight 6189 from XNA (Northwest Arkansas) to

ORD (Chicago) 5:24 – 7:15 PM


Tuesday, March 16, 2010 United flight 938 from ORD to LHR (London/Heathrow) 10:07 PM – 11:05 AM


Wednesday, March 17, 2010 Ethiopian Air flight 701 from LHR to ADD (Addis Ababa)
9:00 PM – 7:45 AM


Thursday, March 18, 2010 Ethiopian Air flight from ADD to LLW (Lilongwe)

9:45 AM – 2:20 PM

Friday, March 26, 2010 Ethiopian Air flight 871 from LLW to ADD

3:05 – 7:45 PM

Friday, March 26, 2010 Ethiopian Air flight 710 from ADD to LHR

11:55 PM – 6:55 AM


Saturday, March 27, 2010 United flight 929 from LHR to ORD

9:05 AM – 1:21 PM


Sunday, March 28, 2010 United flight 6189 from ORD to XNA

2:55 – 4:41P


While we are there we will primarily be working with orphans and widows, teaching them the gospel and love of our Savior. Also, I just found out that I will have the coolest opportunity to use my dental hygiene education to teach the people of Malawi the importance of oral health and how to maintain a healthy mouth. We have toothbrushes and toothpaste that were donated that I will give out while i'm teaching...it's possible that some of them have NEVER SEEN a toothbrush, much less owned one. I am VERY excited about this part, if you can't tell. :)


We may or may not have internet access in Malawi. I am planning on journaling everyday and will post to my blog when I can. You can follow our trip on fbcs.net if i’m unable to post while i’m there.


I love you all so much and appreciate your love and support more than you'll ever know. I can't wait to tell you ALL ABOUT THIS AMAZING EXPERIENCE! :) GOD BLESS!

No comments:

Post a Comment